Monday, December 22, 2008

A visit to the barber

It was like any other visit to the barber yesterday, except this time I was in the chair thinking of what I should be writing today. It started uneventfully with me giving him the standard instructions of what I wanted. As he was snipping away at what little resides on my head, he asked whether I would like to have a shave. Giving into laziness, I said yes. A few more snips and he said an oil massage would rejuvenate my hair, stop hair fall and relax me...would I like one? Anything to stop my receding hairline I said yes. As he was shaving he said a face massage would clear away the dead cells, firm my face and relax me further. Basking in the relaxed state that the oil massage had put me into, I said yes. He then went onto give me two options the standard face scrub or the organic, all natural one. Of course, I was going for the natural one. My hair neatly trimmed and washed, my head and face massaged, my facial stub a distant memory, I got out of the chair feeling good and ready for the day. I paid him, stepped out, and stopped short...I had been cross-sold and upsold by a master. I had spent 5 times more than I had planned for and felt good at the end of it! Notice how he drip-sold me, never all at the same time, one by one when I would be most receptive.

At the very least I got a blog post out of it :) How many times have you gone in for a plain haircut and come out with more done or clutching a bottle of miracle conditioner? The next time you are at the salon, just remind yourself you are in the hands of a master marketer.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Observation, Sir...

Enjoyed thoroughly...

Keep Up The Good Work :)) we have lot to learn from you...

Many Thanks
Bhavesh :))